life (85) warhammer (50) politics (40) art (38) artists (27) mental health (26) future (25) music (22) culture (18) rabbit hole (12) wolfram (11) morality (8) poetry (8) brutal (7) camp awesome (7) personal history (7) poem (7) psoriasis (7) purity control (7) nWo (6) shame (6) cats (5) fear (5) books (4) crime (4) health (4) map (4) modelling (4) otherworld (4) sexuality (4) canada (3) technology (3) christasthostoraoraret (2) game/play (2) guilt (2) love (2) story (2) sundance (2) words (2) writing (2) zen (2) arcology (1) boomers (1) dream (1) eagles (1) fish (1) fluff (1) food (1) goldstream (1) haiku (1) hands (1) heroism (1) hockey (1) hummingbirds (1) instruments (1) magic (1) money (1) nature (1) sick (1) song (1) teeth (1) whales (1) win (1) youth (1)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

exclusive impression from Toronto G20

from the lovely&strong :))
Katie H

A coworker invited me to her housewarming party. I got a message a few days prior saying if people were unable to attend due to the G20, they understood. I furrowed my brow. G20? We were in the west end, far removed from the focus of the world.

As the Saturday wore on, I was glued to live feeds and internet accounts. I oddly found myself fearful to leave the house. I left around 9:45pm and my neighbourhood was a ghost town, despite being far removed from the focus of the world.

My usually vibrant and multicultural community was whittled down through apprehension and fear, a series of eyes staring out their proverbial windows in to the night to watch the abuse unfold. Better to stay safe inside than possibly be caught up in the violence. We weren’t far enough removed from the focus of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment